Fitbit Flex 2, a fitness wearable device from world’s largest fitness devices maker Fitbit, reportedly caught fire while one woman was wearing it and caused her second degree burns.
According to a report from ABC news, one Dina Mitchell, a Wisconsin resident, claimed that the Flex 2 exploded without warning while she was still wearing it in her arm. Mitchell also clarified that she was simply reading a book and not doing any strenuous activity when the explosion occurred.
“I was literally just sitting and reading when my Fitbit exploded. It was either defective or really mad I was sitting still so long. Either way, it burned the heck out of my arm,” Mitchell told the publication, adding, that she had to remove it when it was on fire.
She later said that doctors had to remove plastic and rubber from her wound as well. Fitbit is aware about the matter, and in a statement to Engadget, it said, “We are extremely concerned about Ms. Mitchell’s report regarding her Flex 2 and take it very seriously, as the health and safety of our customers is our top priority. Fitbit products are designed and produced in accordance with strict standards and undergo extensive internal and external testing to ensure the safety of our users. We have spoken with Ms. Mitchell and are actively investigating this issue. We are not aware of any other complaints of this nature and see no reason for people to stop wearing their Flex 2. We will share additional information as we are able.”
This seems to be a standalone issue for now, as there are no other reports of exploding Fitbit Flex 2 reported just yet. The Fitbit Flex 2 was launched in India in August last year, and was priced at Rs. 9,499. Now, its available online for as low as Rs. 5,999.
Last year, Samsung was embroiled in a similar flaming controversy, when several users’ Galaxy Note 7 units started exploding due to a battery defect. Last year, even the Basis Peak wearable was recalled after many exploding reports.