Fortinet announced the next generation of threat intelligence and detection with the release of FortiGuard AI. FortiGuard AI is built into Fortinet’s threat intelligence services platform and delivers automated threat analysis and detection to ensure customer Security Fabric solutions are continually updated to protect against the latest threats across a rapidly expanding threat landscape.
- FortiGuard AI is a self-evolving threat detection system that uses machine learning and continuous training to autonomously collect, analyze, and classify threats with a high degree of accuracy and at machine speed.
- FortiGuard AI is integrated into Fortinet’s threat intelligence services platform to power all of the advanced threat detection capabilities that FortiGuard services share across the Security Fabric.
- Fortinet also announced new User Entity and Behavioral Analysis (UEBA) capabilities, and the launch of FortiGuard Threat Intelligence Service (TIS) as an enterprise service offering.
Training Machines to Defend Against a New Generation of Automated Cyber Threats
Cybercriminals have been increasingly leveraging automated threats to overwhelm cybersecurity defenses and the trend of adopting artificial intelligence and automation in cyberattacks is expected to increase in 2018 and beyond; creating an arms race for security solutions that can operate at ever-increasing speed and scale.
Fortinet’s FortiGuard Labs consists of 215 expert researchers, analysts, and engineers in 31 countries leveraging cutting-edge technology to analyze threat data from a global network of more than three million security sensors.
Predicting the increases in speed and scale needed to defend against automated cyberattacks, FortiGuard engineers started building an automated machine learning system capable of rapidly and accurately processing its massive volume of threat data to identify new threats.
Under constant development and trained using supervised learning techniques for over five years, FortiGuard AI analyzes millions of threat samples per week. The samples are processed by over five billion processing nodes which identify the unique malicious and clean features of each sample. Using advanced algorithms, FortiGuard AI proactively determines if a new sample poses a threat and generates threat intelligence that updates defensive signatures across the entire Fortinet Security Fabric.
Threat Intelligence at Machine Speed and Scale
The speed, scale, and accuracy of FortiGuard AI enhances Fortinet’s leading threat intelligence services that deliver real-time updates and proactive threat protections to the Fortinet Security Fabric.
Along with the release of FortiGuard AI, Fortinet is also announcing updates to the FortiGuard Threat Intelligence Service (TIS) and the addition of new behavior analysis capabilities for FortiSIEM:
- FortiGuard TIS: Launched as a beta in 2017, FortiGuard TIS is now available as an enterprise service that delivers cloud-based threat intelligence metrics and activity trends specific to an organization’s unique threat landscape. FortiGuard TIS enables CISOs to instantly understand what is happening across the global threat landscape to prioritize resources and fine-tune security policies for their infrastructure.
- FortiSIEM User and Entity Behavior Analysis (UEBA): Fortinet is also leveraging machine learning to enhance its advanced detection with new UEBA features in FortiSIEM version 5.0, which learns patterns in typical user behavior like location, time of day, devices used, and specific servers accessed. FortiSIEM can then automatically notify security operations teams when anomalous activity like concurrent logins from separate locations, users accessing corporate data in the middle of the night, and excessive logins to rarely used servers occur.