GajShield has introduced BYOD policy creation on its next generation firewall series. The new feature promises to enhance the User Sense engine in their popular DC Series to inspect, detect and monitor the traffic and control devices being used by employees. It can identify whether the traffic has come from a mobile device or desktop device. Based on this information, enterprises can set up different BYOD policies limiting the access to internet or mobile applications.
Elaborating on the risks of BYOD, Sonit Jain, CEO, GajShield states, “BYOD programs are a mainstream reality in large and medium-sized enterprises across the world. While BYOD is important to increase productivity and innovation at work, it also increases the vulnerabilities in the network. What you need is the ability to look into your network, identify the loopholes and mitigate those risks. A strong security management system can help control and manage your network effectively.”
More than often employees are allowed to bring in devices which are not controlled by the enterprise. Many of these devices have varied OS, with malicious apps getting downloaded. These devices can compromise enterprise network with unaccounted traffic. Using the GajShield Object Oriented Policy Security Management, enterprises can do the following-
- Block access to critical servers in DMZ to BYOD devices
- Setup Data Leak Prevention policies which monitors and block all uploads from these BYOD devices.
- Block risky applications which can lead to data leak for BYOD devices
- Allows to setup policies to limit access to the internet from these devices
- Control and limit the bandwidth used by these devices
- Limit access to internet based on time. (Education institutes do not want students to have access to internet during class hours)
- Redirect the BYOD devices to no- critical internet link so business applications are not affected
MDM (mobile device management) can control devices by allowing only those devices that are verified and sanctioned by the organization. “With the enhanced system, you can now control bandwidth usage, block risky applications and monitor what is entering your network even on devices where you do not have control,” adds Sonit.