Authored By Limesh Parekh, Founder at Enjay IT Solutions
A new kind of peer appraisal, that has more than few advantages, apart from being extremely simple, informative and fun.
How it works:
- Its done one weekly basis, When entire team assembles in one area (preferably standing in a circle). Those in the branches will join on speakerphone.
- One person is designated as coordinator for this, who will record all the activities.
- Everybody states their best task done in the week, “Best of the Week”, based on the self-evaluation, based on following criteria:
- Its beneficial to Enjay, Customers of Enjay or any other Team Member(s) of Enjay.
- It solved something that otherwise would have taken lots of time and effort (innovativeness). Innovativeness can be in anything, not only technical. Giving/implementing some brilliant idea for Marketing / HR / Finance can also be innovative.
- It was done in remarkably low resources (time, energy, effort etc)
- It helped learn something remarkable. (big personal learning or advantage)
- Any Other thing, that the person might think that it was his BEST,
- No one can state that there was nothing remarkable. (this is rule).
- Everybody also states their “Worst of the week”, where something which went wrong or was not done right.
- A Lapse in the duty/responsibility.
- Some task which otherwise could have been completed in short time, but took very long.
- Knew that this was wrong for Enjay, but did not speak.
- Any other thing that went wrong during the week whatever was the cause for it.
- Both the evaluations are done by the person him/herself.
- All other team members will listen to each and every person stating their BEST/WORST of the week.
- Then the voting is done:
- Everybody has a single vote, which can be given to one person only.
- That vote will be given by him to the person, that he thinks, did the best work.
- The person cannot vote for himself/herself.
- The person who gets most of the votes gets the “PERFORMER of the WEEK” Award, and we keep his name on the Notice Board for the entire Week.
- This will also be posted on our FB page, regularly by EOD Saturday.
- The person who gets most “PERFORMER of the WEEK” awards will be “CHAMPION of the YEAR”.
- The information that the coordinator has recorded will be used for Appraisal by HR Team.
- Instead of taking into account each and every task done, we just take the best task, that saves a lot of time.
- The best and worst are evaluated by SELF, this way self-analysis is done, which is afterwards voted by peers.
- This provides a chance to every person, to think regarding the work done during the week. A kind of self-appraisal.
- And since the voting is done by all afterwards, everybody comes to understand whether his thinking was correct or not
- Automatic reporting is done, no need to maintain any kind of reporting
- Everybody comes to know what is happening in the team. Because each member is stating that
- A Culture for best performance is developed.
- A better communication skill is developed since the work done has to be presented in very simple and effective manner.
- Good listening and observation skill are developed since everyone have to listen to 40+ people and do the evaluation.
- In first few weeks the system might not get very clear, but after 1 or 2 weeks, everybody will start loving it and get involved with enthusiasm.
- This is just peer appraisal system meant for HR System and helps in improving the overall efficiency of the team, it does not substitute Project Management tools/efforts that are required to complete projects in time.
- This is Ok, till we are a small team, once we grow beyond 50, this system will have to be reviewed/modified.